Board Director job duties
Community Partners strives to help low-income families, living in Montgomery County’s subsidized housing, to improve their quality of life, equip them to reach a higher level of self-sufficiency and to provide them the resources needed to break out of the cycle of poverty.
Members of Community Partners’ Board of Directors will support the work of Community Partners and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by volunteer staff of the Housing Opportunities Commission. The Board –staff relationship is a critical partnership that relies on input from both entities. Specific Board Director responsibilities include:
Leadership , governance and oversight
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Community Partners for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Approving the Community Partners annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions, being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Chief Executive Officer.
- Assisting the chief executive and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the chief executive and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on at least one committee in addition to participating in task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Community Partners to stakeholders, acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Community Partners commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the community makeup of Montgomery County, MD.
Community Partners Board Directors will consider Community Partners a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Community Partners can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals. All Board Directors are expected to make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their philanthropic breadth.
Community Board Directors serve three year terms and are eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meeting will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings
Requires a passionate and energetic individual who cares about assisting low-income families in Montgomery County achieve a better quality of life. A proven record of of leadership or community development are intangible qualities for this position. Desired board directors will have a proven leadership record in business, government, philanthropy or the non- profit sector.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of Community Partners client needs and family dynamics
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and endowments
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a passion for improving the lives of low –income families living in Montgomery County, MD.
Service on the Community Partners Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for travel and accommodation costs related to official Board business.
Community Partners, established in 1999 strives to help low-income families, living in Montgomery County’s subsidized housing, to improve their quality of life, equip them to reach a higher level of self-sufficiency and to provide them the resources needed to break out of the cycle of poverty. Our programs help homeless families obtain permanent housing, assist low-income working families with purchasing refurbished vehicles, teach unemployed residents the necessary skills for success in the job market and better prepare students for success in the classroom.